Monday, April 14, 2014
My Sister's Problem
After 911 was called and my sister was rushed to the hospital, it was like everything was happening in slow motion. I sent all our friends home with the promise of keeping them updated and I quickly rushed to the hospital. On the way there I called my brothers and my parents to let them know what was going on since none of them were home when she collapsed. I got to the hospital and waited for the rest of my family to arrive. Once they got there, we rushed to the desk to find out anything we could. The lady that was working told us that she did not have any new information and that we would have to wait for the doctor to finish the testing on my sister before we were able to see her or know what was going on. We were stuck waiting in the waiting room praying that my sister would be alright. I kept replaying everything over in my head trying to figure out what could've happened that would have caused her to just randomly collapse like that. That is when I remembered how skinny she had gotten. I turned to my family and told them everything I had noticed. They were shocked that I did not say anything sooner but they understood that I wanted to talk to her about it first to find out what was going on. My mom was upset that she had never noticed a difference. My sister would wear baggy clothes around us to try and hide how skinny she was getting and it had worked. After realizing this, we all sat there more worried than before. She never skipped a meal; we all ate dinner together so we know she ate. What we didn't notice is that she was skipping every other meal of the day and she would only eat a small portion of her dinner claiming she felt "sick" or she just "wasn't hungry." It took the doctor 30 minutes to finally come out to us and explain what was going on. Those were the most nerve-wrecking 30 minutes of my life. The doctor had explained to us that the reason my sister collapsed was because she wasn't eating and if she did, she threw up whatever she was forced to eat so her body wasn't getting any food or nutrients. We were shocked. My sister never went straight to the bathroom after eating dinner so we never noticed. She would always go straight to her room saying that she needed to start homework. She has her own bathroom attached to her room. That is how she managed to do it without us knowing. Her doctor explained to us that she had a condition called Anorexia Nervosa. Anorexia is a dangerous eating disorder that consists of a woman starving herself and/or exercising aggressively in order to get skinnier. I couldn't believe my sister would do this. We were all surprised.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment